DREAMS lab designs novel respirator for health care workers fighting COVID-19.
Virginia Tech’s COVID-19 Response: Science and Engineering in Service to Community Health
An early demonstration of off-axis 3D printing using a robotic arm in the Virginia Tech DREAMS Lab. This demonstration was created for the 2017 ACCelerate Festival in the Smithsonian Institute's National American History Museum.
DREAMS Lab students, in collaboration with the Carillion Medicine & Research Institute, created a 3D Printed heart model using patient-specific CT data. Embedded magnets enabled 'windows' into the heart to help with visualizing transcatheter valve repair procedures.
Above: Vat photopolymerization of an all-aromatic polyimide (Kapton)
Above: Disruptive design via additive manufacturing: Chris Williams at TEDxVirginiaTech
- WSLS: Virginia Tech researchers create reusable N95 mask alternative
- WFXR: Virginia Tech professor, students designing N95 masks for health care workers
- WSLS: Virginia Tech faculty, students design and produce medical supplies
- 3D Print: "VA Tech Students 3D Print 'Ant Vehicle' for Use in Disaster Relief"
- 3D Printing Industry: "Virginia Tech Researchers Take to Reddit for AMA on 3D Printing Materials"
- Collegiate Times: "Professors pave new roads in 3-D printing"
- Campus Technology: "3D Printing Heats Up on Campus"
- Reddit Science AMA Series: "We are professors in the Virginia Tech Macromolecules and Interface Institute working together to develop new materials for 3D Printing, AUA!"
- ICAT: 3D Printing PPE for COVID
- ExOne: Binder Jet 3D Printing with NanoFuse Particulate Binders
- ExOne: A Global Innovation Event: Binder Jet 3D Printing
- TA Instruments: Designing New Materials for Additive Manufacturing: Binder Jetting
- TA Instruments: Designing New Materials for Additive Manufacturing: Vat Photopolymerization
- ACS: "3D Printing: From Molecules to Manufacturing"
- ASME: "How to Leverage 3D Printing for End-Use Parts"
- TA Instruments: "Designing New Materials for Additive Manufacturing: Vat Photopolymerization"
- WVTF: New Material Invented for Hi-Performance 3-D Printing
- NPR Here & Now: "The Future Of 3-D Printing"
- Pulse of the Planet - 3D Printing Series: Parts 1 2 3 4
- Printed Electronics World: “Breakthroughs in 3D printing Kapton, the ultimate polymer”
- 3DPrintingIndustry: “Virginia Tech 3D Print the Unprintable in Kapton Material Study”
- 3DPrint.com: “Virginia Tech Researchers Discuss New Method for 3D Printing Kapton”
- 3D Printing Media Network: “New process for 3D printing Kapton could open doors for printed electronics”
- Omnexus: “New Technique to 3D Print Polymeric Materials Used in Spacecraft”
- 3D Printing Industry: “Virginia Tech Researchers Develop Novel Latex Rubber 3D Printing Material”
- 3DPrint.com: “Virginia Tech Team 3D Printing Rubber Latex”
- TCT Magazine: “Researchers uncover novel method for 3D printing latex rubber”
- 3Ders.org: "Student-made 3D printed vehicles drive & fly at 2nd annual Additive Vehicle Design Competition"
- 3D Print: "Virginia Tech Kicks Off Second Spring Additive Vehicle Design Challenge for Engineering Students"
- Additive Manufacturing: "Virginia Tech College of Engineering 3-D Printed Vehicles Take the Ground and Air at Engineering Event"
- Make Zine: "Virginia Tech Additive Manufacturing Grand Challenge"
- VT News: "Student-made 3-D printed vehicles will drive and fly at Friday competition at Rector Field House"
- VT News: "University launching second 3-D printed vehicle design competition"
- WSLS: "Virginia Tech puts 3-D printed vehicles to the test"
- 3Ders.org: "Virginia Tech introducing latest 3D printing vending machine DreamVendor 2"
- 3D Print: "DreamVendor 2.0: 3D printing kiosks coming to a corner near you"
- 3D Printing: "Is there a 3D printing vending machine? Yes...there is now"
- Gigaom: "If you can dream it, you can print it at this free 3-D printing kiosk"
- New Atlas: "DreamVendor 3D printer vending machine turns students' ideas into reality"
- PSFK: "3D-Printing Vending Machine Dispenses Design on the Spot"
- SolidSmack: "DreamVendor Brings Students' Fantasies and 3D Designs to Life"
- Web Urbanist: "DreamVendor: 3D Printing Kiosk Makes Your Vision Reality"
- Wired: "The Future of Stuff: Vending Machine that Prints in 3-D"
- 3D Printing Industry: "Afinia Releases A New Free eBook on 3D Printing & Education"
- Afinia 3D: "Announcing the Afinia 3D Printer-Enhanced Educators eBook!"
- C&EN: "Printing 3-D Conductive Materials With The Help Of Ionic Liquids"